by Vickie E. Lake, Ph.D., and Ithel Jones, Ed.D.
Among early childhood education books, this one stands in a class by itself. It is the only comprehensive, research-based guide for implementing service learning across the pre-K and early elementary curriculum. Based on field trials with over 3,500 students and 215 educators, this pioneering resource presents all the background knowledge and skills you need to effectively use service learning in your pre-K or primary classroom. Rich in both theory and practice, the book combines best practices in service with differentiated content-based learning to meet the academic and social needs of young children in meaningful ways. The guide’s numerous sample service learning lesson plans are based on field-tested pre-K and early elementary classroom projects and correlated to national standards.
Inside you’ll find:
- Dozens of ready-to-use templates for lesson planning, surveying, assessment, evaluation, permissions, and documentation
- Practical project design strategies for readers at all levels of service learning experience—from novice to advanced
- Supporting research from field experts: Piaget, Dewey, Vygotsky, Kohlberg, Gilligan, Noddings, and Lickona
Content and lessons that reflect:
- National Association for the Education of Young Children’s (NAEYC) developmentally appropriate practice (DAP)
- Service-Learning Standards for Quality Practice
- Common Core State Standards in English language arts and mathematics, and national standards in social studies, science, fine arts, technology, and health
- Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework
Over 20 sample lesson plans that include differentiated instruction options and address these child-friendly themes:
- Letter writing
- Helping people in need
- Saving endangered animals
Digital content includes customizable versions of the book’s forms, additional sample lesson plans, and a PowerPoint presentation for use in preservice and professional development.
Experienced authors and early childhood education experts, Vickie E. Lake, Ph.D., and Ithel Jones, Ed.D., fill the gap in early childhood service learning instruction with this quality, user-friendly guide destined to become a classic in the field.